Cannabis Science Inc. (NASD OTCBB: CBIS), an emerging pharmaceutical cannabis company, is pleased to announce that the Company is moving forward confidently under the guidance of its new President & CEO, Dr. Robert Melamede Ph.D. The planning for the company's product line up remains the same, including its FDA fast track initiatives. In the light of recent corporate management changes, Dr. Melamede has begun negotiating with high level industry executives to build a new team with both FDA protocol and research experience to work on Cannabis Science's extensive product line up and rapid market entry initiatives. The former CEO, Steven W. Kubby, has now resigned from the Board of Directors, and his team members Dr. Mary Ruwart, and Mr. Ray Carr have resigned from their positions with Cannabis Science. The Company wishes them the best in their future endeavors.
Dr. Melamede, states, "I wholeheartedly welcome the opportunity to assemble my own management team to progress the outstanding formulations we have to immediately target and immobilize critical illnesses worldwide through the FDA and other government regulated distribution channels."
Richard Cowan, Cannabis Science CFO, who also remains on the Board with Dr. Melamede, added, "I think that Dr. Melamede's extensive contacts in the scientific community, where he is greatly respected, and his collaborative management style will make it much easier for the company to recruit the talent that is needed to accomplish our goals while progressing our substantial list of formulas including pioneering methods for developing, producing and commercializing a variety of effective whole plant cannabinoid based pharmaceutical products using certified organic production methods to ultimately produce certified organic products."
In keeping with both the historic medical uses of cannabis and the new scientific understanding of how cannabinoids work, there are numerous multi-billion dollar markets globally that will be addressed with Cannabis Science formulations. The Cannabis Science cannabinoid formulations can target a wide-variety of serious needs such as:
1. Chronic pain, to reduce or eliminate patients' dependence on opiates.
2. Neuropathic pain, related to spinal cord injuries, as well as conditions such as AIDS/HIV and the side-effects of its medications, etc. for which opiates are not very effective.
3. Neuro-muscular disorders, such as MS.
4. Respiratory inflammation, related to both infections such as avian flu and to immune imbalance such as asthma.
5. The control of numerous cancers and their metastasis.
6. Cancer, including pain management, control of nausea resulting from chemotherapy as well as loss of appetite related to the disease itself
7. Digestive illnesses, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERDS), Crohn's Disease and irritable bowel syndrome.
8. Dermatological irritations and infections such as MRSA (flesh eating disease).
9. Sleep disorders.
In each of these areas, cannabis has been proven to work, so we will have targeted formulations, which the Company plans to release via one or more of the four types of pharmaceutical product categories targeted:
1. Possible over-the-counter Pharmaceutical Products:
a) Non-Prescription Drugs (With disease specific claims)
b) Nutraceuticals (No disease specific claims)
2. Possible Prescription Pharmaceutical Medications:
a) Psychoactive Medications
b) Non-Psychoactive Medications Dr. Melamede has a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from the City University of New York. Dr. Melamede is recognized as a leading authority on the therapeutic uses of cannabis, and has authored or co-authored dozens of papers on a wide variety of scientific subjects. Dr. Melamede also serves on the Advisory Board of The Journal of the International Association for Cannabis as Medicine, and the Scientific Advisory Board Medical of the Marijuana Policy Advocacy Project, as well as the Scientific Advisory Board of Americans for Safe Access.